Coffee protein shake

On the Revolt plan we're supposed to have a protein "shake" every day after our workout (which is supposed to be just the powder mixed with cold water). I adjusted it a little bit to appease my frozen coffee craving, and it's with hardly any extra calories added to it!
All you need is a scoop of whey protein powder (both chocolate + vanilla flavors are delicious), 4-6 oz soy milk* (almond milk is also really good + water would work just fine), 2 packets of instant coffee, ice and a blender. Makes 2 servings. Less than 150 calories for a 12oz serving.
1// To keep the powder from clumping up, add a little bit of your liquid to the blender first. 2// Add your scoop of powder and packs of coffee. 3// Pour in a little more liquid. 4// Measure out about 3/4 of a tall cup of ice then dump into the blender. 5// Add in the rest of your liquid, though it may be a good idea for you to save some of it back to prevent the shake from being too liquidy. 6// Blend and BAM. Yummy shake. 

*Soy milk will have more fat than almond milk, but it also has more protein per serving. Fat from both of these milks though are healthy and will help in all kinds of things ranging from a higher metabolism to regulating blood pressure to healthier skin (especially almond milk on that last one).
**Adding a full banana to your shake is optional, weird and also delicious. If you do this take half of the amount of ice out of the recipe.
I normally drink both servings because I don't eat that much during the day, and when I do it's veggies and fruit, so the more protein the better!

Obviously I don't really go by the meal plan provided for us. Plus I just don't eat as much as we're supposed to. The idea is to graze on food all day and keep your metabolism in check, which is a fantastic way to eat. I've done it once before and it's the healthiest I've ever felt! So with saying that, eating more accordingly to the meal plan is one of my biggest goals (then onto the million supplements I'm supposed to remember to take every day!).

And let's be real here. I'm a poor (veeeeery poor) college student. The meal plans honestly aren't expensive to go by (don't get me started on the supplements though) but I'm b-r-o-k-e. Or maybe I buy clothes too much. I'm not sure.

My biggest success with the program is working out. BAM. I feel so good now! I don't feel like I'm healthy yet, so I'm not content...but I am content with my effort to get where I wanna go. Ever heard that saying, "easy come, easy go"? Well the reverse is true..."hard come...hard...go..??". Mmkay, maybe not. But I've done a really good job of not staying active over the years since high school (ooooh those high school days. The only things I really miss are cheering and soccer). So getting back to that really active lifestyle and level of fitness will take some time. One day I'll be so very happy and proud of myself and what I'm doing for my body!

You can check out another recipe I did here that's similar to the breakfast we're eating this week. Just take out the meat, add more veggies (peppers, onions + salsa) and only use egg whites. DELICIOUS!

7 comments:

Yelle said...

Sounds pretty yummy, especially with a banana in it! I don't ever drink protein shakes because the powder is pricey, but lately I've been wanting to incorporate more protein into my diet too! Perhaps this is the easiest and quickest way for a busy college student to do it!

Unknown said...

Yum, looks and sounds d'lish!! I drink almound milk daily, Ill have to try this minus the caffine.

Kyla said...

This sounds really good! I haven't really ventured down the protein shake route, but this sounds delicious and easy. I've been trying to get healthier and more fit this year, and incorporating a shake like this after a workout might be worth it!

Melanie said...

Coffee + Protein! I'm sold! I gotta try this!

I saw your interview over at Swell & Stylish and had to say hello! I love your inspirational blogs! I read them too! I'll have to start following on bloglovin because you seem pretty awesome! =)

Have a great weekend!

Ergo - Blog

rosa de los reyes said...

hmmm , must try!

Katia said...

Looks delish actually, in a weird healthy kind of way - im sort of obsessed with that kind of smoothie. a place close to my school does a soy-banana-peanut butter-chocolate smoothie. It is amazing. and also protein filled hehe.

xo
http://kittysnooks.blogspot.ca/

Unknown said...

That looks super tasty! I might just have to try that! Especially with the banana yum yum yum! Xx
Jess
timefortea

Blogging tips