Hello 2013.


[image found via Tiana from Suadade]

Pretty excited about this coming year! I never ever ever do the new year's resolution thing, but after my sweet friend Sierra left a comment saying that her biggest goal for 2013 was to get her finances straightened out I was like..."YES".

Yall, I've never been good at handling money (with the exception of that 3 month period following Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University where I managed all my finances perfectly and never ever had any any ANY fun).

Give me all of your advice guys. C'MON!! Are there some good apps out there to help a sister out? Do you do the envelope system? Do you do normal things like actually check your account or balance a checkbook? Cause I'm zero for four with those things.

Should I just give up and find a sugar daddy? Little secret: that's the option I've been trying to explore for the past two years and it hasn't turned out to be successful yet. As a matter of fact it got reversed on me and I ended up being a quasi-sugar mama for that guy I dated for a year a and a half. I know, I'm ballin like that.

11 comments:

carrieburke said...

Every Sunday night, I balance my checkbook for anything that I have bought that week. It's sometimes a real pain but it becomes very helpful in handling all of my finances!

Carrie

Katia said...

Nah, find 2 sugar daddies instead. JKS.

What I've been doing for a few years is have two seperate accounts. One savings and one checking. Any money spent comes out of my checkings. But any money that I MAKE goes directly into savings. Then every month I have a specific amount of money I take out of savings and put into checking to spend. That way I stick to my budget. My debit card doesn't access my savings account so the only way I can take out money is online, which I do only when putting money into my checking!

It works for me anyway..... haha! I'm sure you also saw on my latest post (thanks for the super sweet comment by the way, I'll defs email you soon !!) I want to save my money for travel, so when I look at some thing I sort of want to buy I kinda ask myself if I'd rather keep that money towards travel. Usually works a little, hehe. Sometimes.

xo
http://kittysnooks.blogspot.ca/

Bekka said...

I had to quit my job to continue with my education at University. I'm pretty lucky as I don't have any major outgoings (Netflix, Spotify, Webhosting for other projects) are all I really pay for. I live at home, and my parents are kind enough to keep me for free hah. However, when I did work I automatically put half of the money I earned in a separate account, and I do the same when my student loans come. It's easy to put it in another bank account, but it's hard not to spend. It comes with practice I guess, and if you psych yourself up for only having half of the money you expected, you get used to living on a "budget" per say. Good luck!

Renée said...

I am NO GOOD at saving money. I swear some people just have that gene or something.

Z said...

girl why you gotta be so funny!? I feel you though - I'm still a student so financial stuff is pretty terrifying. the one thing that my father actually managed to instill in me would be saving all my receipts and checking them against my credit transcript. every few months there's a mistake that saves me for paying for something we didn't buy! :] just my two cents

Kory said...

I would definitely recommend Mint.com or Learnvest, though I've heard testimonials only for Mint. They're both apps to help with money, and I've heard from several bloggers that Mint works wonders for them.

I'm the same way, so I'm going to be trying them out too! Here's to hoping we can do this!

Anonymous said...

I had to give up a bank account to get my finances in some order. They are still pretty fucked up, but way better than before. With my own bank account, I was Overdrawn Girl. I couldn't have an ATM card and manage my money. But using my mom, it's all decided on the day of the check. When will I get paid next? What do I need before then? What do I need to pay now? I have to think things through and make the decision before the check disappears from my hands and into her account. I have to have the cash right away.

Is it weird that she pays my bills? Maybe it is. Definitely people would judge me for it. But the shitstorm that was my finances in my 20s has faded. Soon, I'll be in a position to take it back, but not yet. And I'd rather be in this position, even if I'm judged, than in the massive tornado that my life was before.

I say, find your weakest weakness and ELIMINATE it. No matter how you have to do it.

mary @ millay vintage said...

i don't have any words of advice but wanted to say i just stumbled across your sweet blog and am so glad i did, will definitely be following along in 2013 :)

jorjiapeach said...

dave ramsey's got some good thoughts. i dig the total money makeover thing, but like you said, it's quite extreme.

the mint.com app is pretty fun. but it doesn't change my spending habits. just lets me compartmentalize them.

i'm ready to rent out my condo and live in someone's attic to get outta debt and save money. or the sugar daddy thing isn't such a bad idea either.

Anonymous said...

I use the Mint app for my budget. I'm a visual person so at the end of everyday I go onto the app and see where I spent, and how much I have left in each account. It shows you all your balances [and you can separate all your spending into different 'subject's' i guess you'd call them] but it's not directly connected to your account. you can move funds or access the money through the app, they just show you the numbers. it has helped me A LOT because I see where I'm spending money in useless places [hello eating out when i CLEARLY have food at home]

anyways, I believe in you! You can totally do it!
and if I find any sugar papi's i'll send them your way.

katilda said...

that chalkboard image is so lovely! also...sugar daddy? yes. ok i don't mean it. ok i half mean it...

Blogging tips