Don't be stuck.

[img]
Sometimes I get a little "stuck". In my perfect world I've got an endless amount of creative inspiration and ideas and no distractions or tasks that take me away from those things. In my real world though, I've got a job managing 20 employees, a full-time school load, freelance work and a social life to keep in order.

When I'm not completely happy with where I am or how I'm handling things, I like to do this little exercise where I imagine where I want to be...at present, in 5 years, as a mom, etc. Sometimes I also imagine what someone else could be doing with my unique set of experiences, tools, and the things available in my life. It really is all about your perspective and attitude. The good news about that is you are completely in control of that! I also try to stay thankful for all that I'm blessed with. I've gotten into a pretty good habit of thinking of all the wonderful things in my life, even when things aren't going so well. It takes a lot of practice and maintenance work, let me tell ya!

At present I want to be balancing friend/family interaction, logging in at least 10 solid hours of freelance work, 5-10 hours of blogging activities (more interaction with my readers, making DIYs, more time put into consistent blogging), 5-10 hours of school work outside of the classroom, 30 minute walks with Maddy (5 days a week), 7-8 hours of sleep a night, going to church weekly, keeping up my daily Jesus Calling readings and cooking for myself more. Oh, and the ever-present need to start handling my money better. And you know what guys? I think I'm ready to start dating again. Didn't see that one coming.

Do you do little mental exercises like this? I'd love to know what things you're working on in your life!

13 comments:

katilda said...

I mostly feel like your To Do list could be MY To Do list. I feel like I go through times and seasons where one of my "specials" gets to take priority....whether it's because i'm dating someone new, trying a new sport, going through a hardcore running phase, loving a class at the gym, getting lost in a stack of books...the specials are my favorite. I always hate when the normal To Do's take over all my time, but it's probably all about just picking one special and focusing on it. Also when I use the word "special" I feel like I'm saying "my precious" or something -- which actually might be the way I feel.

Katia said...

I'm doing a very similar sort of stepping back and taking a new perspective of things. It's so tough to look at the positive, no matter how much you know it you're right that it takes a lot of work to actually make it.... work for you? make you feel better? Eesh.

Funny that you mention dating because, as much as silly old romantic me wants to date again, I don't think I'm ready. It's been a year since my last relationship/dating experience, but I fall back into my old patterns too easily and I still have so much focusing on ME to do. I kind of want to focus on my art. On making art and feeling happy with my art!

Great set of thoughts here, just in time for some new years resolutions too I suppose?
xo
http://kittysnooks.blogspot.ca/

Katia said...

ps. I laaav the new layout!

Wild Daisy said...

It's great to take time reflecting on who you want to be. It's refreshing and pretty exciting. We are such beautiful souls and have so much to offer its great to be thankful and recognize our strengths and where we want to be in life. Thanks for this post!

--JeNeal from piecesofluv.com

Dorien said...

That's a whole lot! I get too lazy sometimes and I kind of sometimes expect that everything will just fall into my lap but well, it doesn't so you have to work for it! I really try to give myself a peptalk when I get into lazy mood! :) xo

Jessie said...

I've been blogging a little less these past few weeks because I simply don't have the time it takes to devote to the designing of the posts. I love it, but sometimes I just have to go to the grocery store! Lol. I try not to get stuck. It's easy to do, but I know that I am always in control. If only we didn't have to work! ;)

Unknown said...

I definitely understand how you feel but was delighted to hear you say that its about your perspective and that you are in control of it! I also have been working hard at maintaining positive thoughts and I agree! It can be difficult. But also, you can see the benefits almost immediately so it makes it a little easier!
{Em ♥ teatreevintage.blogspot.com}

Anonymous said...

When things get crazy, i tend to make habit lists. Like i want to get into the habit of cleaning the aprtment so i add that to my daily routine. Its enough to find a time for everything.

www.teenyhippie.com

Renée said...

I definitely know this feeling and your list echoes mine in a lot of ways. It always helps to remind myself of how much power I have over my life and how I spend my time. Once i stop stressing, things just tend to work out.

Z said...

Mmmm girl I feel you. I think everyone goes through periods where they feel like they're not doing enough - whether it's social, work, or even mental! Personally, I'm at a bit of a crux in my life - halfway through my sophomore year of college, contemplating a career change (that is, changing what I thought I'd be doing post-grad), trying to recover from a wild semester abroad, re-integrate myself into my extracurriculars and social schedule, as well as do general things like keep up my grades, blog, and current friendships. Graaaa!!! Haha, I guess what I'm saying is, we all have times where we feel that our life is going off the rails, but I think your strategy of stepping back and realizing how blessed you are (with the love around you, skill set, standing in life, etc) can help you appreciate it all a little more. I really hope you keep us updated on how all of this goes. Best wishes!

Sierra said...

YOUR BLOG LAYOUT LOOKS SO CUTE. I WANT MINE TO LOOK EXACTLY LIKE IT, BUT MY FACE ISN'T AS CUTE AS YOURS.

Freakout over. You're one talented, lovely lady.

And on a more serious note, I'm working on balancing full-time editing job/part-time mall job/blog time/boyfriend time/cat time/swim time/reading time/wine drinking time. I'm not there yet, but hopefully I can get a handle on things soon.

My biggest goal this year is to get my finances straightened out. Maybe even be an adult and open up an IRA or something. Who knows?! Anything can happen in 2013!

The Pretty Pinhead said...

Love your blog! Found your blog via The Farmer and the Bell.

With a 19 month old, I am always trying to work on time management. With 2 jobs, the family, and blog, sometimes it's like a circus act around here.

Amanda
The Pretty Pinhead

Debie Grace said...

My life is as complicated as everyone else. It has a lot of factors to be focused on such as school, and others (haha!). But I always try to make a list everyday so I wouldn't miss the important things I should do and another separate notebook for ideas such as DIY, topics to write about, personal projects, school stuff and interaction with other people. It's pretty addictive to live a *complicated* life somehow because when you see your list slowly getting smaller, it's very accomplishing. :)

Blogging tips