One year without....

[img]
Smoking. I've gone a whole year without one cigarette! Except for that one time when I smoked half a cigarette. I'm not counting that but I'm kind of glad that it happened. I was craving one and was also kind of stressed out at the time, so I told myself that if I still wanted one in 24 hours that I would smoke one. AAAAAAAAAAAAND. I was still stressed out 24 hours later. Turns out....you can taste all of the chemicals in them. You just have to quit smoking them for at least 6 months or so.

But boy oh boy do I miss cigarettes sometimes! Even a year later. Like yesterday when I craved one with my coffee. And this morning when I craved one again while drinking my coffee.

As an ode to my at one time sweet and precious cigarettes, I've written a little letter with things I'll miss and not miss about smoking.

Dear cigarettes,
Man. Am I ever going to miss enjoying you with a double shot of espresso! I'll also miss how well you completed a meal. How good you were with a strong whiskey drink. How much fun it was to sit with you on a covered porch outside at night while it was raining. How easy it was to strike up a conversation with people by asking to bum a cigarette or use a lighter. How fun it was to pass you out to homeless people in New Orleans. I'll miss those bouts of times when I tried hand-rolling you. I even bought a fancy contraption that took up way too much space in my purse. I never got really good at making you myself, and it was always an act of labor to smoke you that way. But I felt a little closer to you during those times. Just know that I'll also miss those quiet moments where it was just me, you and my music, driving around in my car.

But (don't act like you didn't know where this was going). All good (or at least fleetingly enjoyable) things must come to an end. I tried several times to demolish my habit of you. The attempts mostly only lasted a maximum of two weeks, but then there was that one time before I got super duper depressed after my Granny died when I quit you for a whole three months. That was fun. That would be used as a reminder that I didn't need you later when I was ready to quit again.

Now that it's been a whole year without you, I'm really glad you're gone. I hated that I felt dependent on you to calm down or relieve stress. I hate that you lingered on me after a quick smoke. I loved you but you smelled disgusting (nothing personal dude). I won't miss pretending like I was enjoying myself in the winter when it was just a little too cold to be outside. My bank account definitely won't miss you. My body is pretty happy you're gone too. I sure won't miss how queezy and headachey you made me feel sometimes. My insurance is happy that you're gone (or is it the other way around...I never can tell??). I think my future babies will be really happy that I don't smoke, too. As much self-control that I feel I don't have, letting you go is one example proving that I have at least a little.

So yes. I think of you fondly from time to time, but I am so happy and proud of myself for making you a part of my past. I'm so happy to have a year without you under my belt. I can't wait til its even more years (I'm shooting for a million) since you were in my life (and mouth, and lungs, and stuck on my hair and clothes, and...).

HOLLA, cigarettes!
Mel

Ha okay. So did you actually read all the way through that? Cause that ended up being quite a long letter to an incredibly inanimate object.

So.. I don't see many smokers in the blogosphere. If I still smoked I probably wouldn't share it much (or at all) on my blog. You know, there's just an image you want to maintain on a blog sometimes. I mean I intend for my blog to always be a positive space. So when I'm having my negative days, I've got my blog that forces me to spin a positive light. That's one of my hard limits (Fifty Shades, anyone?)..no negativity here. I imagine cigarettes wouldn't fit in either. They aren't typically on the list of things that sum of a good role model.
But anyway. Have any of you smoked and struggled with stopping? What helped you or what have you tried so far? Anyone have a different perspective about what should/shouldn't be included on a blog? Have I offended anyone (that wasn't my intention if so!!)?

14 comments:

Lindsay Wright said...

Congrats on a full year without! I've never smoked, so I can't imagine what it was like to give it up but I'm proud of you cause let's be real self control is really hard. And you should always be transparent in your blog! If it's a bad day as a fellow blogger it doesn't bother me, sometimes you just have to vent. xo lindsay

Kira said...

Congrats, one year is a great accomplishment!

katie said...

i'm proud of you! i've never smoked, but austin's been struggling with quitting, so i can only imagine how hard and rewarding it is. sometimes i think smoking's really cute & consider trying it out.. (i know, i know), but honestly i'm real scared of fire so that never happens. :) this was a cute post. congratulations on a year! <3

Vicky S said...

Congratulations! My younger brother keeps trying to give up and I know how much he's struggling, so hats off to you lady! I've actually had the same conversation with a few of my blogger friends this week, about keeping it real and how we should present our lives as bloggers. I think there's a balance somewhere between over-sharing and being so positive that its a bit fake! Personally, I don't mind posts that aren't happy-clappy, they make the blogger seem more real. That said... I probably wouldn't read blog if every post was a bit depressing!

asafran said...

such an excellent post! i think we all struggle with something...whether its smoking cigs or something else. i have never been a smoker so i dont really have an tips there but i loved the honesty in this post and i think that you are HUMAN for sharing something like this:)

Adrian Loves Owls said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. You're a great writer :) I quit smoking cigs about 5 years ago. I smoked about a pack a day for 5 years and then quit cold turkey. It was tough at first, especially since most of my friends were also smokers (at that time), but I did it and I feel so good that I don't have to carry around a pack of cigs with me at all times. Ugh! and that disgusting smell! No thank you! Congratulations on quitting. It's not easy to do. I will still enjoy an occasional cig every now and then when I'm out in social situations, drinking with friends mostly. That's the only time I really have a craving. I don't really think about smoking at all anymore and I'm so happy about it. If I did still smoke, I'd probably keep it from the blog....or at least, I wouldn't share photographs of me smoking on the blog. I try to be as honest as possible on my blog. I don't want to appear to be something that I am not, but I definitely avoid sharing my bad habits! I want my blog to be a positive place, not a place where I share unhealthy, bad habits!


xx Adrian

Jessie {my mod style} said...

Congrats!!! I wish everyone would stop. Good for you. :) Cute post by the way.

May said...

Congratulations!!

bethany t. said...

That's awesome! Good for you for stopping! I used to smoke and sometimes, it just gets really overwhelming and I end up smoking again, I REALLY need one when I've had a bad day or am stressed.

Mama wolf said...

woo hoo, good for you.


xoxo Mama wolf


www.mamawolfsvintage.com

Amanda said...

Congratulations! That is absolutely fantastic!

Hannah said...

Congratulations! I'm really happy for you, and I'm glad you shared this with us. :) You showed that you're not just some perfect blogger with a perfect life but an imperfect human being too just like us. And smoking might not be high on the list of good role model qualities, but then again you realized your bad habits, were honest about them, and worked hard to change them. I think that's pretty darn good of you. Again, congratulations. I wish you all the best. :) xx

chloe said...

well done!!


you're right, smoking isnt something smokers talk about i guess? (i am one) i actually think people that brag/talk about smoking as though are losers instantly.


I have quit a couple of times but always fall back into it. I smoke maybe once a day, but sometimes go weeks without, its whenever i feel like it.




chloex
www.bythelock.com

Lauren said...

Congratulations on one year!!! That's supposed to be the hardest part, getting over that first year. Good luck on the next one!

Blogging tips