Hi guys!! So here's the very first post of a new series on personal style. Today I'm going to explore a type of style that has never really reflected my own: classic. I've always been more of a statement kind of dresser. However, I've slowly been incorporating more classic pieces into my wardrobe. It helps my outfits to feel complete and finished. Polished, if you will : ).
So. What does dressing in a classic style mean? That's actually kind of a difficult question for me to answer. You've got your stereotypical pearls, sweater sets and ballet flats. But do all of those things fit into French classic? Or sporty classic? How about tomboy classic? To dress with a classic style means you're making smart shopping choices. It doesn't mean you're ignoring fashion trends (hi neons!!). It means you should find pieces that will suit your wardrobe for years to come. Pieces that will last while showing people your authenticity.
So what are some classic staples? How about the little black dress, a suit or a trench coat? A simple white button down. FUR! A pencil skirt. Tailored jackets and blazers; shift dresses, long evening skirts, tailored trousers and ballet flats. Riding boots, loafers and animal skin. For this post I've picked six items that will help give an outfit a more classic feel.

Animal prints always seem to be in style. The fun part about it is...well, they're fun! They perk up any outfit, but its never really a crazy OUT-THERE statement. In the first picture the girl is wearing some non-black neutrals and her scarf keeps it from being an otherwise boring outfit (however I do love a good olive pant!). And then of course animal print always looks good with black. I'd probably wear an all black outfit with those oxfords with a bright belt or necklace. [1,2,3]
More commonly called maxi skirt. I looooove maxi skirts. Which maybe I shouldn't since I'm so short. But I do! You can wear them with almost anything and you instantly look snazzier. A printed top. A loose flowy top. A flowy tiered dress over it. A cardigan. Bare arms. A blazer. A chunky sweater with a belt. Heels. Boots. Flats. Yes, all of it. I think the key here is material. Get something besides a simple knit. It ups the antey and what-not. [1,2,3]
I've had a hard time with the fitted blazer. Maybe because I don't want to go to a tailor. Maybe because I don't have that kind of money. But blazers in general are awesome. This is kind of the same thing as the maxi skirt. Put it on and BAM, you look awesome and put together. Which is really what classic dressing is all about, right? [1,2,3]
You knew this one was going to make the list! I mean look at how hot/adorable/precious these dresses are! I just noticed all the dresses I picked out have at least a small element of skin showing (oops!). I think I like the first one the most. The fabric of the dress makes it the most versatile to me. You can wear it casually for a craft supplies shopping trip, church, or spruce it up with a lot of metallic bracelets and heels for a night out. Regardless, everyone feels smaller in black and should have something easy to put on when they want to dress up : ) [1,2,3]
I only own one trench coat. Its a light tan colored one from Target. And as soon as I put it on I feel transformed! It doesn't matter what I have on underneath it (or how badly I need to wash my hair!), if I fasten the buttons and belt it up, I look put together and (mostly) polished. I'm obsessed with this trench with the stripes. So cute! [1,2,3]
Oh man. I want all of these pants! You can dress all of them up or wear a simple button up with flats. The blue in the first pair is just so much fun. The second pair is actually a vintage pair of pants (eep!). And the last pair is a great neutral that should be appropriate for absolutely any situation (work, church, funeral, night out). [1,2,3]
I think any kind of dresser should have most of these elements in her closet. If for nothing else, at least for staying power and versatility. Some old faithfuls, if you will.
I think any kind of dresser should have most of these elements in her closet. If for nothing else, at least for staying power and versatility. Some old faithfuls, if you will.
What's your style? Do you like any of these pieces? Do "classic" clothes scare you? Or is it all you wear? I'd love your feedback so I can tailor this series more to your interests!!!
Thanks guys : ) Hope your weekend has been nothing short of everything you wanted it to be.





3 comments:
Pretty sure the only classic pieces I own is a few black dresses and my Lauren Moffatt coat. I have no clue what my style is other than all over the place. I really want to sell off half my wardrobe (I have and still wear my 8th grade graduation dress?? yikes), and add go towards a classic wardrobe.
Thanks for sharing this. It was fun :]
your blog is great!
I kind of think of classics as staples, go to pieces. Pieces that fit well and go with many things. Clean lines, classic silhouettes and such.
Post a Comment