Warning: word vomit, but for a nice cause

I don't know if any of you have noticed the Kind Hearted Blogger button on my sidebar, but just in case you've never heard of it, I wanted to share what it is all about. 



It all started when  Jo Annie over at Em Jay & Me got fed up with the ill-mannered behavior that unfortunately can happen in the blog world. Something hurtful happened to her through blogging (she doesn't share the specifics of the event) and briefly thought about throwing in the towel with blogging before she decided to cultivate a small movement that aimed to do the exact opposite of what the hateful bloggers were doing. Thus the Kind Hearted Blogger movement started! It seems that Jo-A isn't really blogging anymore, but I still wanted to share what the campaign was because of how awesome it is. Here are the guidelines to being a Kind Hearted Blogger:

-create, inspire, and admire rather than compete with fellow bloggers
-be understanding of each other--in the blogging community, as well as in the world
-stay away from internet/blogging bullying
-speak my opinion freely, while still being mindful of other's feelings--be tactful
-make an effort-no matter how big or small the gesture-to spread kindness or joy to others
-acknowledge that I will mistakes (I am only human), but remember to learn from them
-know that at times I will post about the negative stuff in life, and maybe even some complaining, but will always follow up with some happy/positive too
-believe that this world is a good place, filled with good people

My only hesitation with the pledge is the last one. My worldview as a Christian means I believe that this world is horribly broken and a place full of imperfect sinners who don't deserve anything good or beautiful. That seems harsh when put into words, but the flip side of this belief is that as a sinner I can be pardoned and graciously forgiven of my imperfections and tendencies to do bad things. And because of this forgiveness I must try to do good to people and show them the love that I've been shown. So I don't believe this world is a good place and I don't believe its filled with good people. But I do believe as humans we are responsible to each other and maintaining at least a basic level of respect is important when interacting with each other, in person or through blogging. Therefore, I can and will pledge to do all of the other things on the list.

The ideas behind this movement are actually why I wanted to blog. Before I started, I would visit a few blogs obsessively (none of you guys know what I mean, do you? : ) ). I questioned why I loved them so much and the answer to that question is this: they loved to give. These blogs were (and are) community-oriented with a huge desire to share with others. They all aim to inspire and encourage others to live a positive and beautiful life. And they all do it so genuinely! It's really amazing actually. So that's why I wanted to start a blog of my own. As it is still a small and young blog, I'm still figuring out content and dealing with staying consistent. But my aim is still solid and my attitude is (mostly) positive and hopeful about this blog's future.

I haven't interacted or engaged with a single blogger who doesn't fit the bill to be a kind blogger (I stay away from people who are negative in general). I've been  so inspired by the lovely ladies I've come across!

It's a long post and its mostly words (gross). I know pictures are more fun and lots of letters are hard to look at when you've got 12, 005,276 other blogs to check out. Thanks for your time! Hope your weekend is going smashingly well. Love love.

4 comments:

Cait Emma said...

I LOVE this idea. i just pledge at the end of last week! xo

Anonymous said...

This is so GREAT! Thank you for sharing the inspiration behind your blog. I love the idea of a kind-hearted blogger, and I feel like that is what the blogging community is made of. From my experience bloggers are so supportive of one another, and I love it!

Lena said...

So good, my friend. SO. GOOD.
I love that I've come across a blog based on these principles ... yours! It's so refreshing, and as the guidelines mentioned, inspiring. Kind Hearted Blogger, I'd like to believe that I can and always will be defined as such.
:))

ShyScout said...

I love this idea. I thankfully have not stumbled upon any hateful/negative bloggers yet, and thankfully they haven't found me. But it is important to stay positive and kind to one another. I totally know what you mean about obsessively visiting blogs, haha. My favorites in the very beginning were Sometimes Sweet and A Beautiful Mess :]

Blogging tips