
via 79 ideas
I came across the most wonderful article about simple design principles. I've known for the longest time that I wanted to take my design and freelancing to a different level but haven't been sure of what it would look like. I'm taking my time to figure it out, as I definitely don't want it to be forced. These principles definitely align with the direction I want to go.
1// Austerity. Refrain from adding was isn't absolutely necessary in the first place.
2// Simplicity. Eliminate what doesn't matter to make more room for what does.
3// Naturalness. Incorporate naturally occurring patterns and rhythms into your design.
4// Subtlety. Limit information just enough to pique curiosity and leave something to the imagination.
5// Imperfection, asymmetry. Leave room for others to co-create with you, provide a platform for open innovation.
6// Break from routine. An interruptive "break" is an important part of any breakthrough design.
7// Stillness, tranquility. Doing something isn't always better than doing nothing.
Those last two steps really speak to me, as I naturally tend to have them in my design process. Sometimes, though rarely, I'll work on a design for a client and it'll be spot on from the beginning. But what normally happens is I work and work and work on a design, submit it for viewing and feedback, then go in a totally different direction. Or I'll start on a design, sit on it for a week (doing nothing to it) then know what direction I need to take. If you're a former client of mine, you'll really know what I'm talking about!
I'm so thankful I found this article (it came to me via an email that Linked In sent to me--LI has been such a great resource for design-related news).
What are some things that guide your design process? Or if you're not a designer, that guide your day-to-day living?
2 comments:
Eesh! I need to find a better guide/set of ideas to focus on - im a little all over the place when I design, probably why I'm headed into illustration for my studies and not graphic design, though I love both. Illustration I tend to visualize things much better and way more fluidly!
xo
http://kittysnooks.blogspot.ca
I think I need to follow these rules, I collect too many nick nacks!
Post a Comment