Casualties of a break-up.

As some of you may know, me and Matthew broke up. It happened almost a month ago and I waited as long as I did to talk about it on the blog because I wanted to be in a better spot when I let y'all know. I didn't want to talk about it and get a bunch of sympathy comments (pleeeeease don't). I wanted to be able to talk about it and stay positive, and I believe I can do that now.

This past month, well, really two months...they've been hard. Not bad, but hard. I've been neck deep in school work, freelance design work, managing at F21, meeting new people, making new friends in this city (which, let's be honest, I love!) and running a better life for myself in general (physical activity, balanced lifestyle, healthy eating, growing my spirituality, etc). Then me and Matthew broke up. Then one of the best guy friends I've ever had died (I still scratch my head multiple times a day and wonder if that last one is really real).

But I finally feel like I've got my head back above water! And over these past few days reality has set back in. I am in control (what little control a single human has in the big world, anyway). I'm empowered again. It's easier to motivate myself and stay positive. I'm handling my load a lot better. I'm so happy to be able to tell you these things.

But I've also noticed a few things that have been lacking in my life since Matthew and I broke up. I've created a small picture montage of things I call "little casualties of a break-up" that have come to my attention recently. Before you read on, just know that I count laughter and comedy as one of the best forms of therapy, and these things are meant to be taken lightly and with a tiny grain of sarcasm.

One//No more loose flannel button-ups to layer over my outfits.
Two//I have no one to coerce into taking Maddy outside to use the bathroom anymore when I'm too tired (or have drank too much).
Three//No one to keep that huge king size bed I just inherited warm.
Four//There are now empty spaces where cool and interesting books used to be.
Five//I also have no one to make me food when I'm too exhausted to do it myself (I actually skip many a meal because of this...yikes!).
Six//No more random musical debauchery in the form of accordion, or  any other instrument.
Seven//No more texting someone who is too drunk to tell you they "love you too".
Eight//No more quiet hand holds or MAKING OUT. <----sad about that one.
Nine//There is now no extra toothbrush to use when I randomly misplace mine for the 2nd or 8th time (which happened this weekend...I've been doing the awkward finger-brushing thing for a few days now. Finally bought a new toothbrush today though!).

So that's been my life for the past month. I've had to cook for myself, take Maddy out all by myself, hold my own hand, try to make-out with myself (just kidding--but have you seen the gif where James Franco kisses James Franco?) and buy my own dang toothbrush!

And have I told you yet that I got to meet James Franco?! Super nice and...super short. But hey! This girl's only 5'2". And newly on the market! : )

So what do you do to cope with intense times? Are you currently in or have you recently gotten out of a transitional period? What do you do to keep your spirits up?

18 comments:

Gentri said...

Aw, Melanie. I am so so sorry. :( I hope that you are doing ok. I am here to talk, or help in whatever way I can!

Renée said...

I would say that hanging with James Franco is certainly a step in the right direction when it comes to coping with intense times!

The only thing that I've found to be helpful, is time. Time to build new memories and patterns as the person you are after a big change. I definitely think it's healthy to face the loss though, just as you are doing. It's brave of you not to run from it(NOT a sympathy comment!).

Katia said...

I love using humour to lighten a situation. I recently spoke to someone and learned his fiancee left him, and I nearly made a joke from one of the first convos I had ever had with him, but then I realized it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Oh well.

I find that, ups and downs happen when dealing with break ups or other things. Sometimes I'll feel really hopeful and happy and positive, then it'll hit me again. But I find that knowing that this is a NORMAL sway of emotions is really helpful, makes me feel less like something's wrong with me when I can't help but feel down.

I hope you keep looking up as much as possible, sounds like you are! Big hugs!

xo

Sara Luna said...

you are so freaking cute! i feel sorry for that man, because he has no mo YOU!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you've had a chance to be light-hearted with the situation. I'm sorry things ended up this way but I'm sure you'll find someone who'll truly deserve you & all of your wonderfulness. Keep your chin up! ;)

Love, Adriana.
http://horsesofares.blogspot.com

Katie Chamel said...

I'm sorry about the recent break up but you're definitely handling it in the right way! You even made me crack up at some of your subtle sarcasm I would catch. Making people laugh when talking about a breakup? That's a feat!

katiechamel.blogspot.com

Chloe said...

i'm glad you're feeling better

chloe
www.bythelock.com

Sierra said...

YOU MET JAMES FRANCO?!?!?

Jealous.

Katherine said...

i'd say get all up on james franco.

and i'm sorry, but i am a bit sad for you here. actually a lot of this happened when my husband and i moved apart. but let's face it. not having someone to take out the dog for you blows. that one hit me. i get you girl. i get you

<3 katherine

Hello Annabel said...

*imagine we are hugging, imagine I smell like pineapple or something tropical and SASSY, imagine i'm the best hug-giver ever*

I'm jelly you met mr. franco!

xo

Unknown said...

I'm glad you seem to have a positive outlook on this, doesn't make it less hard, but makes the day-to-day easier. You're an all star, look fabulous all the time, and you new apartment rocks. Enjoy yourself sweetie and keep the sarcasm coming!

Amanda said...

Glad to hear you are doing ok. That is never any fun. I always try to do more stuff outside to lift my spirits, hiking or just walking around in a park. I don't know what it is about seeing new things just makes me feel all better. Best of luck to you.

wfayew said...

This breaks my heart.....James Franco is really short? Ugh. -- Also, you're cool.

Natalie Mulford said...

Sometimes it's the tiny things that are the hardest. I had to leave 2 of my 3 animals and I think that was the hardest thing. I also find being alone of a night hard, when you hear a noise and get a little scared. And of course the getting them to do things when you don't want too/ can't. But it gets easier, and I find it fun and quite freeing. I can make decisions by myself and not have to worry about someone else. I also learnt a lot about myself.

Jesika said...

"word" for "I Love you too" .. ?? Nope not going to have it.
Theres going to be someone AMAZAZAZING that will say I Love You , even if Gam Gam is sitting right next to you.
I'm your newest follower but I'm up to date with how obsessed I am about you! I really hope that you hit the peak of happiness and get so sick of it and just laugh at this chapter of your life. Because good times are coming :)
HAve a Beautiful DAY!!
-Jesika

Pony Chops said...

Sorry to hear this Mel, it seems like you're on the right track! Loving the positivity!
In times like these there is no better cure than animals, friends and family. James Franco is most probably a close second though :)

Jessie said...

You are so cute. I am glad that you are staying positive. That's the best thing to do. Keeping busy is key and laughing. Nothing but TIME can really heal the heart I believe. Just pick yourself up and keep going. Cry it out when you need to and do posts like this to raise your spirits. You are young and beautiful and have so much going for you. :) Everything that is "bad" that happens to us really just makes us stronger in the end. It's cheesy to say that but I feel it's so true. *virtual hug*

Allie said...

i swear these transitional periods are the hardest... even harder than a downright terrible period. i think its important to keep busy and concentrate on yourself. good luck my friend! just remember things will always get better.

Blogging tips