A flea market trip of self discovery + "send something good" fun facts about me

So I took a trip to a nearby flea market over the weekend (in search of cheap arrowheads--no luck) and realized that I was realizing quite a few truths about myself and my life. Self-realization is better than an arrowhead any day, right?
My future home will have a whole room dedicated to books (some people might call that a "library"). There are seriously piles of books all over my apartment because there isn't enough space to stash them all collectively.

My future home will also include one+ claw foot bathtubs. This is essential.

 
I don't like dolls. Even if I envy their pink hair. This little lady's actually kind of cute in my pictures, but believe me. Creepy in real life. And maybe I kind of want her outfit too. Oh man. Do I not like dolls because I envy them??? This can't be happening.

 
I will never ever ever want to weigh myself, even when my scale is an awesome retro flower power theme in awesome colors.

 
I'm obsessed with fruit. Not in the fake-fruit-in-a-bowl kind of way. But in the random-thoughts-on-wall-decor-themed-fruit-and-eating-it kind of way. And in the obsessed-with-the-bright-colors-of-fruit way.

 
I'd probably workout more if I had this record.

 
I will never own real fur. This kind of made me want to cry and giggle at the same time.

 
I am going to be a mega huge vintage store owner one day. These bad boys were items that made me die a little inside because of their unwearable/unfixable conditions. Do you see the pit stains on that top left photo? And stains and tears in the bottom left one? And the beautiful details and colors in the pictures on the right?!? AAAHHHH seriously, I die.


There was actually quite a bit more of self-discovery, but the amount of pictures I took to explain it all would overstimulate you, on this I'm sure. I realized that silhouettes and foxes will always be a part of my life and that I have an unhealthy obsession with wooden vintage crates. Weird.

So. I've been a bad do-gooder. Gentri and a few other darling ladies are holding a blogworldwide event called Send Something Good. They've given me a blogger to follow secretly and surprise with a package of wonderful gifts that I think match her personality and interests plus involve where I'm from in some kind of way. And I've stalked the crap out of my blogger recipient! She's even finished her "about me" post that they asked us to do last Friday (the idea is to help the blogger who got you get to know you better so that the package she sends you will actually be something you enjoy and love). Mer and I'm just now doing mine! But here goes. Things that will help my secret do-gooder get to know me and what I'm into better:

-I love fashion and vintage. I love edgy details. I don't like kitschy items and I'm not really into trends. Unless there's some way that I can spin it into my own kind of style (for example, I LOVE the bright colored skinnys trend but refuse to buy into it because my thighs would never forgive me. However I love all the metal arrow jewelry that I see everywhere!).
-I love books. All kinds. I love to escape!
-My favorite thing to consume is: everything. Especially cheese and coffee.
-I like geometric prints.
-Did I mention I love vintage clothing?
-I'm obsessed with succulents and growing my own herbs (there's been an herb thief on the prowl in my apartment complex, by the way! They straight up stole all of my basil, rosemary and cilantro!)
-I'm incredibly into DIY fashion. No need to spend the money that I don't really have on nice, machine-made items!
-I'm obsessed with coral, peach and anything metallic.
-I like tribal prints!

Also, here's my pinterest in case that helps in figuring out my all-over-the-place style and interests!

Anyone else out there participating in the "Do Something Good" project? Or do you realize things about yourself in the weirdest situations?

30 comments:

Kristy Gardner said...

holy moly! as i read your post i couldn't believe how similar we are! books? yes. claw foot bathtub? yes. vintage? yes. fruit? yes. (though i do own shiny fake fruit that i keep on my kitchen table)...scales, dolls, fur - big fat no! 

glad to have you participating in Send Something Good! Talk to you soon!

Amy said...

that scale is awesome. and love that jane fonda record. so funny!

Lori Lynn said...

That fur thing, I don't even know, it frightens me and destroys a little piece of my soul, yet I found my self snickering a little.  What on earth was that thing?!  And those tops make me happy-I really want to have a  vintage store someday as well...sadly right now it probably wouldn't pay my student loans...oh well, it's something to work towards right?!  XO Lori
http://lorilynn-alittlesliceofspecial.blogspot.com/ 

Melanie Lea said...

Oh crap! Okay fixing it now. Such a spaz ha

Gentrileeblog said...

Oh melanie, it's "Send Something Good". hahah! It's ok. Someone else called it "Do Something Good" too. :) 
Love the vintage shop post. :) So sad that those shirts are unwearable though. You could try to duplicate that grey and yellow one I bet!

Melanie Lea said...

Ooooh good idea about the DIY Sierra! If you don't use it for your guest post then I might snatch it up : )

Sierra said...

That second shirt would make a really great DIY! I picture it with a lower neckline and either a short-sleeved shirt or loose-fitting tank-top. 

The first two things on your list are definitely a must for my future home as well. I love the idea of having a room where three of the four walls are just shelves and shelves of books and the fourth wall is a huge window. I will never own real fur either. I think it's absolutely disgusting.

http://viennawaitsblog.blogspot.com/

Melanie Lea said...

Ha oh man it was a part of a mink shawl. There were maybe 2-4 of these furry babies stitched together : ( And the vintage shop can't happen fast enough for me! I'm looking into small business registration for my state today. Such a daunting task!

Arrin said...

Okay that scale is pure awesome! Also when I saw that picture of the animal I wanted to instinctively yell "Don't touch it!" Ahh I hate touching really fur (except for when it is on an alive animal). My boyfriend and I were looking at a vintage animal fur once and I just knew he would try to scare me with it. Well even though I knew and was looking right at it... a simple 'bah' and a jerk from him made me scream and jump! ew I shudder.

Deidre said...

Jane Fonda... I would workout if I had that too... but now you just gave me one more reason to sit at home eating dark chocolate rather than going on a run... someone get me that record!

jasmine jewel said...

1. My future home will have a claw foot tub, I repeat WILL. They truly are essential. 2. I would also DEFINITELY workout more if it was to that record.

I really enjoyed this post, you should do more like em'!

Roni said...

~I want to have a library as well. I read a ton, but mainly because school requires me, too, otherwise I need to 'find' the time to read what I want. Watching "Beauty & the Beast" when it came out in '91 made me realize I would, no matter what, have a huge library in my "dream home". 
~I love those tubs. I want one in pale pink or mint. Yes.
~I LOL'd at you being jealous of dolls. 
~Jane Fonda was such a sexy biatch.
~Ewww at that dead fox. I love them too much to see them like that. Real fur freaks me the fuck out. Sorry for the Fbomb. It needed to be there for emphasis purposes.
~Send Something Good is news to me, but it sounds SUPER COOL! I love giving and receiving surprises so I dig it big time.
~Great post, Melanie! :)

Shell Weiss said...

I'm totally with you on the library! My bookshelves are all double filled and there's more books in storage! The same with the vintage shop... Maybe U can have a vintage things and books-shop? That'd be awesome!

Katia said...

Hahaa I love this whole list! That fox thing is actually the creepiest thing ever, pair that up with that doll.... agh nightmares!

That project sounds fantastic, wish I had known about it earlier!
xo
http://kittysnooks.blogspot.ca/

Brooke said...

Ah!  Vintage is so perfect in every way, honestly.  I agree, fur is ich.  I frowned at the poor unexpecting fox :( Just found your blog and am totally following :D












xoxo
~Brooke {via The Dove Tree}

shyscout said...

I really liked this post! I discover new things all the time when I am out thrifting. I hope to apply it all to my future home, style, life, etc. We will see how that goes. I would love to have a claw foot tub and that jane fonda workout record is awesome! 

I really wish I had heard about the "do something good" project sooner. I would have loved to participate, it sounds like so much fun! I hope you get some wonderful goodies. It was a lot of fun learning about ya.

Missresmith said...

My old home had a claw foot bath that I got in the cheap ads paper for £50 and I miss it soooo much.Rx

http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.co.uk/ 

Kelley Spurlock said...

Okay, stop. This cracked me up! I'm totally with you on the claw foot bathtub- they are the epitome of awesome.  I am also so with you on dolls. They are just plain creepy. I tell them to stop staring at me, it doesn't work.

Melanie Lea said...

Yayy thanks Brooke! I love that my readers love vintage! And thanks for stopping by : )

Gina Norman said...

No lie I use to work out in High School to that Jane Fonda workout!!!

Love getting to know you, fun!!! 

Melanie Lea said...

Ahh that's so funny Arrin! I love taxidermy but for some reason real wearable fur gives me the heeby jeebies!

Melanie Lea said...

Ha dark chocolate sounds amaaazing right now! And a big glass of milk. I need to make that happen!

Melanie Lea said...

Ha I loved doing this one too! I just might have to do that : ) Thanks for the suggestion Jazz!

Melanie Lea said...

Oooh I want a mint clawfoot tub. DREAMY! Maybe I'd bathe more too. Maybe..

Melanie Lea said...

We're seriously about to have to start stacking them on top of each other on the floor. It's getting ridiculous!

Melanie Lea said...

Ha maybe we're soulmates?! : )

Melanie Lea said...

I'm thinking about starting a series with this stuff. I don't really have the moolah to buy stuff every week, but it was a lot of fun digging through everything and writing about it : )

Melanie Lea said...

Oh wow that's amazing! Checking your blog out now : )

Melanie Lea said...

Ha those rude jerk face dolls! Who do they think they are anyway!?!

Melanie Lea said...

Ha that makes me really happy Gina! 

Blogging tips