So here's the first installment of my tattoo posts! To start off I'll tell you a little about me and tattoos. I've always been in love with them. I don't remember exactly when I knew what a tattoo was, but I'd guess it was probably around 8 years old. And I've wanted them ever since then! I've been on a small tattoo hiatus (it's been almost two years since my last one--EEP!!) but I hope to get another one later on this year. I'm thinking about a goat man on my calf : ) Or something to do with sewing. Or both.
I get asked questions about my tattoos every. single. day. People think they are for attention. People think they are supposed to be sexy (I can't tell you how many looks/comments I've gotten about my big thigh piece!). People assume that a tattooed person couldn't possibly know how to be sweet charming Southerner. Which I do. And am. But mostly I've just got tattoos because I like tattoos. For the same reason that my hair will be long for most of my life (because I like long hair on me). They've really helped me grow as a person (you'll have to read on to know how that is : ) ). Here goes...
I get asked questions about my tattoos every. single. day. People think they are for attention. People think they are supposed to be sexy (I can't tell you how many looks/comments I've gotten about my big thigh piece!). People assume that a tattooed person couldn't possibly know how to be sweet charming Southerner. Which I do. And am. But mostly I've just got tattoos because I like tattoos. For the same reason that my hair will be long for most of my life (because I like long hair on me). They've really helped me grow as a person (you'll have to read on to know how that is : ) ). Here goes...
This was my third tattoo and it says "Liebe" which means "love" in German. Its located on the inside of my left wrist. At the time I was a German major in college and had just gotten back from a trip overseas. My best friends were German and I absolutely loved everything about the language, people and culture. I was also battling with a tough bout of depression, and there was some self-mutilation going on (I've vowed ever since then to never cut myself again...and have stuck to it!). This tattoo mostly represents my victory over that depressed spell and acts as a daily reminder of the promise I made about being good to myself and treating my body in a better way. The fact that I was so obsessed with the German language is why I got it in German over English. Its a great little reminder that German used to be such a big part of my daily life too.

This is one of my favorite tattoos!! Its a piece inspired by my favorite period in art, Art Nouveau. I went to the artist (she has an illustration degree from RISD) and told her I wanted a tattoo inspired by the Art Nouveau period with a lady in it and then let her come up with the rest. Its a lady with a bear skin rug and a lamp. People ask me all the time if the bear is a dog (whaaat??). This tattoo is located on the outside of my right arm. I really wanted a big tattoo on my arm because I used to HATE the color of the skin on my arms. I've got a good bit of sun damage so they're just kind of permanently pinkish-red, while the rest of my body is extremely pale. I hated the contrast and I thought the red color was so ugly. I was tired of not liking my arms so I put something on them that I could love (you're going to notice a trend with this reason as the tattoos continue..). And its really worked! My skin pigment doesn't really bother me anymore and I love what tattoos have done for me in this way. Its helped my body confidence go way way up!

This little guy was my very first tattoo!! Even though I had been wanting a tattoo for almost 10 years, I still didn't get one right when I turned 18. I was almost 19 when I got it, and its just a little green peace sign on my right foot. At the time I thought I was some kind of neo-hippie. I just loooooved "love" and I was trying to save Darfur and I went vegetarian for awhile and I reinforced my bad hygiene habits and all kinds of other stuff (never played with drugs though...not my thing!). So, anyway. This tattoo was a good way to get my feet wet (oh haha). It was really annoying when I didn't have a lot of tattoos because people thought I just drew it on with a sharpie! I can totally see how it looks like that but I was trying to be taken seriously with my tattoo yall : )
So thats it for this week! Expect installment two in a few days : )
This is one of my favorite tattoos!! Its a piece inspired by my favorite period in art, Art Nouveau. I went to the artist (she has an illustration degree from RISD) and told her I wanted a tattoo inspired by the Art Nouveau period with a lady in it and then let her come up with the rest. Its a lady with a bear skin rug and a lamp. People ask me all the time if the bear is a dog (whaaat??). This tattoo is located on the outside of my right arm. I really wanted a big tattoo on my arm because I used to HATE the color of the skin on my arms. I've got a good bit of sun damage so they're just kind of permanently pinkish-red, while the rest of my body is extremely pale. I hated the contrast and I thought the red color was so ugly. I was tired of not liking my arms so I put something on them that I could love (you're going to notice a trend with this reason as the tattoos continue..). And its really worked! My skin pigment doesn't really bother me anymore and I love what tattoos have done for me in this way. Its helped my body confidence go way way up!
This little guy was my very first tattoo!! Even though I had been wanting a tattoo for almost 10 years, I still didn't get one right when I turned 18. I was almost 19 when I got it, and its just a little green peace sign on my right foot. At the time I thought I was some kind of neo-hippie. I just loooooved "love" and I was trying to save Darfur and I went vegetarian for awhile and I reinforced my bad hygiene habits and all kinds of other stuff (never played with drugs though...not my thing!). So, anyway. This tattoo was a good way to get my feet wet (oh haha). It was really annoying when I didn't have a lot of tattoos because people thought I just drew it on with a sharpie! I can totally see how it looks like that but I was trying to be taken seriously with my tattoo yall : )
So thats it for this week! Expect installment two in a few days : )
9 comments:
Wahoo! Thank you for finally sharing about your tattoos. The "Liebe" one is pretty and it is good to have a reminder of what you over came some times to see how far you have come. I am glad you are in a happier place in your life now :] The second one is gorgeous! I was going to say that it looked inspired by Mucha and Art Nouveau but modernized. I really would love to get an actual Mucha print tattoo eventually. The organic shapes and lines of Art Nouveau is so beautiful. It is also really cool that the artist went to RISD! I wanted to go there but it cost too much. My dad went there for a couple of years for photography but quit. Your first tattoo is cute, I can see why some might think it is a sharpie though. What made you grow out of the hippie phase?
Can't wait to see what you have next :]
mmm cute thanks for sharing your stuff! I want more tattoos soooo bad <3
I'm glad you are no longer cutting. One of my best friends' struggled with it for years, and it was hard to see her hurting so bad. So, I'm glad you're in a much better place :) The tattoo on your arm is beautiful, I like it a lot. She did a beautiful job.
Great tattoos. Thanks for sharing your stuff ^^
Maria
Eee! I missed this while I was away. I'm so happy you did it. I love all of them and the stories. I too am extremely glad to know you're in a better place, even if I didn't know you when you were in a helpless feeling one. You look great now, from what I see. You look happy and the tattoos are great reminders. That's another reason why I love tattoos so much. They're art. And I'll never understand how people can judge others just for having them. It's so sad. But people like you and I will continue to prove them wrong, as we can be total sweethearts. But we're not ones to f*** with either ;)
I'm eager for the next installment of your tattoo stuff!!
That girl tattoo, gorgeous. I really love the Art Nouveau- look :)
Satu
- Indie by Heart
Before I read the rest I gotta tell you something!!! I love your wrist tatt, I have one in the same spot. Mine's a 12 pointed star for the same reason. Used to cut; wanted a reminder of why I don't and where I came from!
PS:I asked on your other post what your leg tatt was, but then realized you probably had info in the FAQ section.. so disregard that.
I loveeeee your lady! LOL, neo-hippy. Good term. I'm pretty sure that's something I could label my younger self as too.
I love your German tattoo! My dad is fluent and after spending sometime in Germany I have toyed with one of my tattoos having some German in it, too :)
Post a Comment