DIY: geo pants

Remember this DIY inspiration post? Well. I've been thinking about those pants from it. And let me tell you, I kind of hate pants. HATE THEM. I have...issues...with things constricting me. Also why I don't like shoes. Or socks. Or bras (what?).

But these pants? Perfect solution. Why? Cause they're elastic (and not sweatpants). You can wear them with flats or heels. All you need is a little slouchy tank or tee and then BAM. Want to dress it up for night? Throw on a blazer. Or just sleep in them.
Here we go!
[one] Fold your fabric in half then throw down a pair of pants that you like the fit of (I recommend something that's got a more casual and loose fit). Oh and make sure the right sides are folded in together (so that what you see is the back side of the fabric after its folded).
[two] Cut around the pants (I did about 1" around but I recommend that you do 1" on the inside seam and about 3 on the outside. Weight the pants down with any random object you can find while cutting (such as an old planter that you haven't cleaned out, like me!).
[three] Stop when you've done half of the pants. Then fold the fabric again and just trace what you've already cut to ensure that both sides will be the same.
[four] Now you're ready to sew! Note: don't do that weird thing that I did at the top of the pants. I had to go back and make it not awkward in the front. But then I was ready to sew! Start with the outside of the pants up at the waist (1/2" seam allowance should do the trick). Then do it on the other  side on the outside. Then start at the inside ankle on one side, go up to the crotch, then back down. Now we're ready to finish the hem at the ankle. Instead of doing a double fold I recommend doing a zig zag stitch around the edge of the foot opening, then folding once and sewing. Repeat for the other side. Last thing: make a casing for your elastic (read steps 5-7 from this diy to learn how). DONE.

I was pretty interrupted during my pants-making-soiree, but without interruptions it really shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to do these! I'll post outfit pics soon : )

9 comments:

Leila Chatti said...

these are beautiful! great job!

Kyla said...

Wow, those came out great! I've never actually made pants before, but you've made this look so easy! :)

allie safran said...

these are FANTASTIC! unfortunately this diy project looks like something i could REALLY mess up ahaha

Melanie Lea said...

Man. Unfortunately you have to mess up a lot before you can be good at something <------me. Keep trying new stuff! And little secret: these pants actually don't even fit me. I'm gonna have to add in a panel on each side (which is why I recommend adding more to the outside of the pants than what I did). But its okay! Most things are incredibly fixable : )

Thanks for the comment Allie!

Melanie Lea said...

It fortunately IS really easy. I've made rompers before and the bottoms got a little crazy. Crotches are weird like that, ya know?? : )

Melanie Lea said...

Why thank you Miss Leila! You rule!

April said...

There's no way I'll ever do this, but hey, looks super neat!

Sierra said...

okay, now if I could only pull these things off!
Love your blog!
xoxo,
Sierra

















Oh, Just Living the Dream

Ashley said...

This is such a good DIY! Thanks for sharing!

Blogging tips