DIY:t-shirt dress

Hii! Remember how I did a DIY swap with Shakti last week? Well this is what I made for her and today I'm going to show you how I did it!


Isn't she beautiful in it!? i LOVE how she added that multi-colored belt and bright shoes. Never would have thought to do that.

Supplies needed (besides a sewing machine): t-shirt, fabric scissors, elastic (measured to be tightly stretched around your waist but still comfortable) and fabric that is roughly 1.5 times the measurement of your waist. Go ahead and put your t-shirt on, then note where you want the waist line to be (can be empire or at your natural waist-like this one is) then cut about 1/2" below the point you want the waist line to be

I made up a diagram for steps 1-3 and 6 and the rest I'll just guide you through with words. Step 1: Lay your fabric so that they front side of it is face down. Step 2: Starting from the bottom edge, fold upwards so that the selvage sides meet each other (kinda like a hotdog fold). Step 3: Fold again, but this time fold in half the other way (kinda like a hamburger fold). Step 4: Sew the raw edges together (you should have 4 layers of fabric now with only one side having raw edges). Now you've got the basic formation of the skirt portion! The bottom hem line will be kind of like a bubble hem. Step 5: Time for the sewing machine again! We're making a casing for the elastic now, so you'll half the layers at the top of the skirt and fold over 1/4-1/2", depending on the size of your elastic (use pins and an iron to help you with this). Then you sew the casing shut, leaving a little bit open on the ends so that you can feed your elastic through (but wait to do that until step 7). I did a tutorial here that shows you what I'm talking about.

Step 6: Now it's time to add on the shirt portion! Make sure the skirt is turned right side out and the shirt is turned right side in. Line up the middle of the back of each piece while sliding the shirt down over the skirt. The pictures will help you make more sense of the directions! Step 7: Next use 4 pins to secure the middle in the front and back along with the two sides of the shirt and skirt. Then sew the two pieces together, making sure to stretch the shirt out along the way Step 8: Now its time to add the elastic! Use a safety pin to guide it through the casing (also found on this tutorial) then hand-sew the closing shut. And then we're finally done!

If you want to check out the DIY of the shirt that Shakti made me, just head on over to the post she did on it!

6 comments:

Gina Norman said...

Oh I love this, I hope I can do it!!!

Aspiring Kennedy said...

How perfect is this? I love the material of the skirt.


www.aspiringkennedy.com

Roni said...

I love how she added the belt and pop of color with the flats, too! They really bring out the beautiful colors and pattern of the skirt. You honestly did an amazing job on this. :)

Melanie Lea said...

Thanks Roni!

Melanie Lea said...

Thanks mama! A friend actually gave it to me. It was soo freaking nice and expensive feeling.

Melanie Lea said...

You can you can!

Blogging tips