On being happy and confident....

Okay so we're all good at something, right?

That's right! You're a very talented and gifted person. There, I said it. Out in the air now.

So how often do you tell yourself that? We all have lots of goals, hopes and dreams. How do we accomplish anything with ourselves, though? YOU GOTTA BELIEVE YOU CAN, that's how! You've got to tell yourself you are a completely capable human being who has the capacity to attain anything you need to get what you want done. The trick is to keep saying it even if you don't believe it right away.

So let's do a little self-evaluation. What are you good at? Make a list of your accomplishments. Are you talented with decorating cakes or organizing? Does planning a party or adding up numbers come easy to you? What about your personality is an asset? Are you kind or patient? Perpetually optimistic (please teach me how to do this if so)? Now, what are your weaknesses? What are you lacking that you think will help you become more successful and happy in life? Would you handle anything in your life differently if you had the chance? What do you most want to change about yourself? So, where does that leave us? It leaves you with a decision. Where are you going with your life and how are you going to get there? Who can you ask for help, advice and/or guidance? What strengths of yours are you not using to your fullest potential?

Its important to keep your self-esteem up. So how can you do that? Try a couple of these things for starters:

build a support system
cultivate/enhance an intimate relationship
work on upgrading your personal wellness and body image
counter negative self talk (sooo important!)
define goals
list personal accomplishments
work on bringing inner child out

The inner child part seems silly, but giving yourself permission to loosen up is really important! I will let myself get so stressed out at my coffee shop job (customer service is hard, okay?). But if I concentrate on trying to have fun and put my energy into making my circumstance fun (or funny in most cases for me) then I feel a lot better about myself. Feeling uptight sucks.


[src]

So think about it: what are you good at? What about yourself would you like to work on? And finally, how can you get to where you want to go? Make extremely specific and attainable goals then reward yourself when you reach them!

[I'm in the process of importing all of my comments to Disqus so for now all my posts say "0 comments"!!]

7 comments:

Courtney B said...

Oh my goodness... you are SUCH A SWEETHEART!
I love this post! We ALL need this reminder. We need to recognize the good in us to get inspired to be better!

out of order said...

customer service IS hard, since apparently a huge portion of the population has ever worked in the service industry and are so demanding and unreasonable! I started in retain at 15 and it has noticeably depressed my opinion of human beings.

anyway, I like this post, thanks for the tips! If I ever learn how to silence the mental chatter (without 3 hours of meditation a day) I'll let you know <3

Meghan

Contemplating Beauty said...

this is VERY helpful and encouraging, I am not one to pay attention to my dreams, so I am printing this out, thank you!!!

Lena said...

Feeling uptight does indeed suck. I love that your recommend setting specific and attainable goals. Such a great way to stretch yourself and rise to your potential, while also boosting confidence and morale. Great advice. Seriously. Thanks girl!

megan said...

i love this post! the message is so very encouraging and positive. i am trying to be a more positive person, and it is very fun and helpful to read posts such as this. thank you for sharing :) 

xo megan
diaryofthisgirl-megan.blogspot.com

Danielle said...

This post is amazing! I feel completely inspired by everything you have written.
Thank you so much for writing this!


http://porcelainheartivorytooth.blogspot.com

Katherine / Corgis & Cocktails said...

i love that abe lincoln quote poster.

i definitely agree - happiness can be determined by a lot of things, but the main factor is yourself. you can still be happy even if the things going on around you aren't the most amazing things - friends are very important as well to snap you out of any moods :)

<3 katherinefashion.kitkatherine.com

Blogging tips